The Sundown SA series has been our most popular line since its original introduction in 2009. What better way to create a new version 2 than to upgrade, literally, every single part of the woofer? We started with a larger, more powerful motor to drive the larger 2.75” coil and stronger soft parts – this maintains the perfect balance of the original SA series while also increasing the power handling to 1000-watts RMS.
When designing the SA v.2 series we started out with an FEA optimized motor & coil design capable of 19mm of one-way linear excursion by 70% BL and just over 35mm of x-mech. This motor & coil setup was then mated up to an extremely robust double-layer spider with fully tied-on & doubled-up “XL” tinsel leads (84-Strands of Conductor per lead), an SPL competition grade paper cone, and a strong foam surround. The motor also features a large magnet ID shorting ring (faraday ring) to reduce distortion causes by inductance & inductance variation over stroke.
We further improved the voice coil cooling system from the original SA series. This system allows our 2.75″ coil to match and exceed the thermal performance of many competing 3″ coil drivers on the market without requiring the usage of a much heavier voice coil than required for the design. The key to the SA series is, in fact, the perfect balance of motors force to mass. We have maintained that delicate balance in the v.2 through extensive testing and optimizations.
We then borrowed the new frame, aluminum surround bolt-on clamps, and aluminum vent rings that we tooled for the U-Series to further bring the SA to new heights of performance and reliability. At this point you can think of it as a little brother to the U Series.
Of course if you still prefer the original, legendary, SA series we re-launched it as the “Classic” and it will remain in production in 10s and 12s.
This 18 inch model features a larger motor than the SA-10/12/15 v2 at a full 205mm diameter and a 60mm magnet stack height. The top plate is also thicker in order to more effectively move the higher mass 18″ soft parts. It has a large 234mm diameter spider pack for very high mechanical stroke capacity. It utilizes the same 2.75″ coil as the other SA v.2 series for a 1000-watt RMS power rating.
List of upgrades compared to the v1 SA series (Rev.1,2,3):
1) Magnet outer diameter increased from 180mm to 190mm
2) Magnet slugs increased from 25mm to 27mm in height (total 4mm more height)
3) Motor structure fully bolted together with 3x M6 bolts (eliminates the possibility of motor shifting)
4) Top-Plate “Slits” implemented as with the X and Z series. Increased cooling & reduced distortion.
5) Improved gap venting — more / flared gap vents.
6) Improve pole-vent design — smoothly flared on both sides.
7) Coil increased from 63.5mm (2.5″) to 70mm (2.75″) in diameter. Higher thermal capacity.
8) New “U series” style cast-aluminum frame for taller cones (more x-mech both top-side from cone to spider and bottom from spider to top plate)
9) Aluminum cast gasket to bolt-on surround.
10) Aluminum cast vent ring to enhance thermal transfer from motor to the frame.
11) Standard with double “XL” leads and “bolted-on” spider
12) Larger and thicker surround (same tooling as U series).
13) Strongest paper cones we have ever produced… new two-piece mold technique.
14) “Large Flange” dust cap just like our larger woofers. Essentially eliminates dust-cap glue failure.
15) Larger spider diameter on the 12/15″ models (the 10″ retains the same 188mm spider)… 12″ up to ~200mm and 15″ up to ~210mm
16) Improved spider material for longer life.
|Sens (dB @ 1w/1m)||88.22||87.08|
|Sealed Enclosure||2.0 cu ft|
|Ported Enclosure||3.0 cu ft|
|Recommended Port Area||44 sq in|
Your new Sundown Audio subwoofer is covered by a 2 year limited warranty if purchased from Car Audio Bargain. This warranty does not cover improper installation, accidental damage, misuse, abuse, improper wiring, operation of unit outside of listed specifications, or any product that has been modified or repaired by anyone other than Sundown Audio. This warranty does not cover burnt voice coils or other damage from to much power - re-cones for most products are available for sale in these cases. Warranty on subwoofers and loudspeakers is NOT transferrable.
All warranty returns must be sent freight prepaid to Sundown Audio and be accompanied by the original sales invoice or receipt. For faster warranty service please contact Sundown Audio to request a return authorization code. At the sole discretion of Sundown Audio your subwoofer will be either repaired or replaced.
If no defect is found and the unit must be shipped back the customer is responsible for return freight, if the unit is truly defective the replaced or repaired unit will be shipped back prepaid. In the event of shipping damage due to improper packaging of the return the customer is liable for the cost of all damages, necessary repairs, or replacement. Be sure to properly pack your return!
Sundown Audio also offers a 5 year guarantee to our customers for a discounted replacement unit. We are so certain of the quality of our equipment that even if you are at fault for causing damage to your subwoofer Sundown Audio will offer you a new unit at a reduced cost compared to MSRP. Contact us via e-mail to take advantage of this offer. As is the case with standard warranty claims the return MUST be sent prepaid and with a copy of the original invoice or receipt.
In no event will Car Audio Bargain be liable for incidental, consequential, or other damages resulting from the use of this product, this includes but is not limited to, damage of hearing, property or person, damage based upon inconvenience or on loss of use of the product, and to the extent permitted by law, damages for personal injury. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights, which vary from state to state. This warranty applies to products sold and used in the United States of America.
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!